As we are in the middle of Disability Employment Awareness Month, our organization is thrilled to shed light on the immense value that individuals with (dis)abilities bring to the workforce. We believe that every person deserves equal opportunities and recognition for their talents and abilities. In this blog post, we will explore the significance of hiring diversely and inclusively, highlight ways in which businesses can get involved, and present compelling statistics on the Canadian (dis)abled population.
Creating an inclusive work environment is not just an act of social responsibility; it is a strategic business decision that presents remarkable benefits. Studies have consistently shown that diverse teams outperform homogeneous ones in terms of innovation, problem-solving, and overall productivity. By embracing disability inclusion, businesses open themselves up to a vast pool of untapped talent and perspectives.
Did you know that in Canada, approximately 22% of the population identifies as having a (dis)ability? Yet, only a fraction of these individuals are employed. This glaring gap emphasizes the urgent need for change. By actively employing individuals with disabilities, businesses have an incredible opportunity to promote equality, improve representation, and contribute to a more inclusive society.
There are many benefits to being an inclusive employer, lets explore how hiring from the Life Directions talent pool will level up your business.
1. Diverse teams foster creativity and innovation by bringing together a wide range of experiences, skills, and perspectives. By hiring individuals with (dis)abilities, businesses can tap into a wealth of unique insights and problem-solving approaches.
2. An inclusive work environment fosters a sense of belonging and purpose among employees. When individuals feel valued and empowered, they are more likely to be engaged, motivated, and productive.3. Embracing diversity and inclusion demonstrates a commitment to serving all customers. By reflecting the diverse makeup of society, businesses can better understand and cater to the needs of their customers, leading to increased customer satisfaction and loyalty.
So lets talk about HOW you can get actively involved!
1. Educate and Train: Offer disability awareness and sensitivity training to employees at all levels. This will help foster a supportive and inclusive workplace culture. (Life Directions offers training in all of these fields ready and available to your business). Set up a meeting with Randy Schoch to learn more.
2. Review Policies and Practices: Ensure that your company’s policies and practices align with inclusive hiring principles. Make reasonable accommodations readily available to individuals with disabilities, ensuring equal access to opportunities. Work with one of our job coaches to help re-vamp your accommodation plans.
3. Collaborate with Us: Partnering with our organization offers the ability to connect your business with talented individuals with a diverse range of abilities. This partnership will provide valuable resources, guidance, and support throughout the hiring process.
4. Share Success Stories: Highlight the achievements of employees with disabilities within your organization. By showcasing their accomplishments, you inspire others and demonstrate the benefits of disability inclusion. Get on your social media – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. and talk about your positive experiences and lessons you have learned along the way. Feel free to tag Life Directions in your posts so we can also share them!
As we celebrate Disability Employment Awareness Month, let us recognize the immense potential and abilities of individuals with disabilities. By embracing diversity and implementing inclusive hiring practices, businesses can unlock innovation, improve employee engagement, and foster a more equitable society. Together, let us celebrate the achievements of disabled individuals in the workforce and work towards a future where every person has an equal opportunity to thrive.